Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Good Times

I just started this blog because I'm about to start hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) on Saturday. Plus it sounded like a good idea. I'll be "Thru-hiking" the AT from Georgia to Maine. That's 14 states and 2,184 miles in 6 months. You don't have to take 6 months to hike the AT. But I'm going to average 15 miles a day. 

I chose the title of my blog from a poem I wrote while in the navy. The poem is about a Boy Scout trip while hiking in "Philmount Scout Ranch" in New Mexico. Its about the last morning of a 10 day hike and we were on the "Tooth of Time". The Tooth of Time faces east and looks over the Scout Ranch. Enjoy.

Never Forget
Grant Shelton

Every sunrise is different.
No matter where you're morning is spent.

There will be many days you won't be able to see it.
But every morning the sky will be lit. 

From waking up at 4am with a yawn.
To sitting on top of a mountain before dawn.

My eyes on the sky.
Wishing I could fly.

To the sunlight hitting you're face.
As you look at the countless water holes all over the place.

With you're friends all around.
You take in the moment with out a sound.

Realizing this might be the last moment you share with these guys in this troop.
You remember each one of them and laugh because you couldn't have asked for a better group.

Time keeps moving as you sit still.
You don't want to leave, but it takes all of you're will.

Back on the road and on you're way home.
Looking back at the wild, where you're heart will forever roam.

You'll be back to you're regular life next weekend.
Because you're journey with them has come to an end.

Years will go by.
But you'll "Never Forget"....and that's no lie. 

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the song. I too went to Philmont in 2010 as a Scout leader and oh what a place.

    I hike the AT regularly as a section hiker and love it tremendously, as a matter of fact I am heading there Friday to do the Bly Gap to Windingstar and will do some trail magic afterwards, so maybe I'll see ya.

    I will be watching your post. Good Luck.
    If you need anything call me as I am in GA and close to the AT.

    Doug Pittman
    770.920.1120

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day closer!!!! Awake to adventure at sunrise tomorrow! :) :) D

    ReplyDelete